Short Term Disability Insurance
Help Protect Your
Our Short-term Disability insurance offers incentives, resources and support, to help employees stay at work and help disabled employees return to work.
Our STD plan provides coverage for income lost when employees are unable to work because of a covered non-occupational accident, illness or pregnancy.
Key features of STD include:
- Guaranteed Issue
- Stay-at-work incentives***
- No offset for current work earnings
- Disabled and Working Benefit (Residual Disability)
- First-day hospital coverage available**1
- Option available not to offset for salary continuation, sick leave or paid time off**
How It’s Flexible
We offer a variety of standard, enhanced and premium plan designs, and we can help employers customize a plan with from a pre-defined set of options.
Our Voluntary STD plan can be offered:
- as stand-alone coverage, to provide a critical income safety net – for employers with 50-999 employees;
- with The Hartford’s Long-term Disability (LTD) insurance, for seamless income protection; or
- to help ensure continuity of protection, even if your client already provides an LTD benefit from another carrier.
Additional options offered with STD include no offsets for salary continuation, sick leave or paid time off, and a choice of benefit duration lengths, up to 52 weeks.
Why It’s Valuable
Your clients get fully insured STD with our experience and support behind it.
With our STD plan, employers maintain productivity by helping employees stay on the job. If they do incur an illness or injury, we can provide the resources employees need to help them return to work as soon as they’re able.
- Weekly benefits, based on pre-disability earnings, up to 70% of employees’ lost income.
- Accident/sickness waiting periods range from one to 30 days, depending on the chosen plan.
- Maximum benefit duration coordinates with our LTD program — 13, 26 and 52 weeks available.
- Appropriate vocational rehabilitation identifies return-to-work opportunities earlier.
Beyond the Benefit
Employers care about their employees. So do we. We go beyond the benefit with experienced and compassionate claims management – to help make the difficult times a little bit easier.
Learn more about our Clinical Claims Management for STD insurance.
** Optional Benefits
*** Group Size Requirement may apply
1 Not available for groups with less than 50 lives.
The Hartford also offers statutory disability programs for New York DBL, New Jersey TDB, Hawaii TDI, and California CAVDI/PFL plans.
Speak to Your Hartford Representative Today
Let us help you select the right plan options to fit your employees needs today.
Why Short-term Disability Insurance?
Learn more about how our Voluntary Short-term Disability Insurance can benefit you and your employees.
Empower Your Employees
Help employees learn about their benefits the simple, interactive way.
Find forms, check claims status, access reports, pay bills and more.