Alcohol Consumption At Company Functions Policy
It is The Hartford's policy to take steps to limit the consumption of alcohol at company functions. The possession, consumption, or use of alcoholic beverages at company functions may occur only with prior approval from the executive in charge of the host group. After granting approval, that executive has ultimate responsibility for ensuring that employees adhere to the guidelines presented below.
Managers and employees are responsible for adherence to company policy. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Excessive alcohol consumption may endanger the health and safety of Hartford employees and others around them and tarnish The Hartford's reputation.
- This policy is applicable for all active employees of The Hartford and its participating subsidiaries who are based at U.S. locations of The Hartford. Non-U.S. units shall also apply the intent and provisions of this policy, unless local law requires otherwise.
- Company functions to which this policy applies may include, but are not limited to: receptions for business guests, civic or business organizations; retirement and anniversary parties; department picnics and outings; year-end recognition events; parties held at private residences.
Applying the Policy
- Employees who choose to drink alcoholic beverages at company functions are expected to behave in accordance with usual business standards and all company policies.
- The executive with ultimate authority over the group holding the company function where alcohol is served is responsible for ensuring adherence to these guidelines.
- Alcoholic beverages are not served in offices or work areas. Alcohol is to be restricted to areas designed for consumption of food and drink, such as dining rooms, lounges and cafeterias.
- Alcoholic beverages are served, rather than simply made available, to those who wish to partake. Self-serving of alcoholic beverages at company functions is strictly prohibited.
- Food must be available.
- Alcoholic beverages will be served for a restricted period of time; generally no more than two hours. Possible exception: If the function is planned for a long period of time, e.g., a full or half day, alcohol may be served for a longer period with prior executive approval. However, alcohol service must cease no less than one hour prior to the end of the function.
- Alcohol is not to be served to minors or anyone who appears to be impaired.
- Safe passage home must be arranged for anyone who appears to be impaired.
- The Hartford's interests are safeguarded through certificates of insurance, indemnification agreements, etc.