It is The Hartford's practice to track unscheduled absences of less than 60 minutes in duration for non-exempt employees. This is done in a consistent manner that satisfies business needs, while enabling successful work life balance. This policy supplements the company's Paid Time Off (PTO) Policy.
It is expected that employees will be fully prepared to:
- begin their job activities at the designated starting times each day (e.g., beginning of the workday, return from lunch); and
- continue their job activities until the designated end times (e.g., departure for lunch and end of the workday).
This policy applies to all non-exempt employees. This policy covers unscheduled tardy occurrences of less than 60 minutes in duration, including:
late arrivals to work
late returns from lunch, and
unscheduled early departures from work
Applying The Policy
- A tardy occurrence will result if an employee has an unscheduled late arrival or unscheduled early departure of more than six minutes.
- The policy allows for up to six tardy occurrences in a 12-month calendar period before disciplinary action will result. Tardy occurrences are tracked on a 12-month calendar year basis in the myHR timekeeping system in as little as one minute increments.
- Time missed due to a tardy occurrence will be charged to the employee's PTO bank, if time is available. If PTO is not available to the employee at the time the tardy occurs, then the employee's pay may be adjusted according to applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
- Management reserves the right to offer 'make-up' time to employees for only late arrivals and early departures, so long as such practice is applied in a consistent manner across the business, and complies with applicable state and federal laws and regulations. Employees must perform make-up time in the same workweek. Make-up time will not be charged to PTO. Special guidelines apply for make-up time in California.
- Regardless of whether the employee uses PTO, performs make-up time, or has their pay adjusted, the tardy occurrence will be tracked against the occurrence maximums permitted under this policy.