Unpaid Leave Of Absence Policy
The Hartford may allow employees to take time off without pay when an employee needs time off for a reason that does not fall under any other Hartford policy on attendance (e.g., Family and Medical Leave and Paid Time Off).
While Unpaid Leave of less than two weeks may be approved by the employee's department head, unpaid leave may not exceed two weeks, without additional written approval from the department's HR Lead.
Managers and employees are responsible for adherence to company policy. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Where possible, The Hartford supports employees in their pursuit of work/life balance, provided there is no negative impact on the business.
This policy applies to all regular employees of The Hartford and its participating subsidiaries who are based at U.S. locations of The Hartford. Exception: This policy does not apply to temporary employee of The Hartford, including HarTemps.
Applying the policy
- Employees must exhaust all paid time off before taking unpaid leave.
- Employees are not paid for holidays that occur during unpaid leave.
Initiating the Leave Event:
Managers can initiate the leave event by Web chat or submit an online question through Contact Us in myHR, or contact the HR Service Center at 1-877-HR-AT-WORK (1-877-472-8967), and providing the following information:
- The employee’s name and employee ID number
- Leave start and end dates
- Confirmation that all PTO has been or will be exhausted prior to the commencement of the leave
- Department head approval for leaves that are 2 weeks or less in duration
- Department head and HRG approval for leaves greater than 2 weeks in duration