Unpaid Leave Of Absence Policy
The Hartford may allow employees to take time off without pay when an employee needs time off for a reason that does not fall under any other Hartford policy on attendance (e.g., Family and Medical Leave or Paid Time Off).
While unpaid leave of less than two weeks may be approved by the employee's department head, unpaid leave may not exceed two weeks without additional written approval from the department's HR Director.
Managers and employees are responsible for adherence to company policy. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Where possible, The Hartford supports employees in their pursuit of work/life balance, provided there is no negative impact on the business.
This policy applies to all regular employees of The Hartford and its participating subsidiaries who are based at U.S. locations of The Hartford. Exception: This policy does not apply to temporary employees of The Hartford, including HarTemps.
Applying the Policy
- Employees must exhaust all paid time off before taking unpaid leave.
- Employees are not paid for holidays that occur during unpaid leave.
- An employee who was on unpaid leave in the previous calendar year is eligible to be considered for a pro-rated annual bonus based on the employee’s annual salary as of December 31 of the performance period.
- An employee who is on unpaid leave at the time of a bonus payout will receive his/her bonus, if any, on the date the Company issues such payouts. Short-term disability and long-term disability earnings shall not be included in bonus calculations.
- If an employee is on leave at the time a regular merit increase is given, the increase will take effect on the first scheduled paycheck upon the employee’s return to work. Managers are required to contact the HR Service Center in order to process such merit increases.