After a Car Accident
Steps to Take After an Accident
What to Do After a Car Accident
How can you be sure you know everything you should do after a car accident? We can help. Review the tips below so you'll be prepared with what to do after an auto accident. And consider printing the checklist and keeping a copy in your glove box.
Advice to Follow After an Accident
- If someone is injured, call 911 immediately. Otherwise, call the police or fire department to report your accident.
- Take steps to prevent further accidents and/or injury. If permissible, safe and/or the police or fire department suggests doing so, move your vehicle to the side of the road or other safe place and turn on your emergency flashers.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident until it is appropriate to do so.
- At the accident scene, do not discuss the specifics of the accident with anyone, except the police, fire department, or other emergency personnel.
- Exchange with the other driver(s) your name, address, phone number, insurance company name and contact information, policy number and license plate number.
- If safe to do so, consider taking photos of the accident scene and vehicles.
- As soon as possible after an accident, call The Hartford’s 24-hour toll-free hot line at 1-800-243-5860 to report your claim. Or, report your claim online.
- Consider using our Auto Repair Shop Network with a lifetime workmanship guarantee. Ask your Customer Care Representative or use our online tool to find a local network repair shop. As always, you may select the shop of your choice.
The information provided in these materials is intended to be general and advisory in nature. The Hartford assumes no responsibility for the control or correction of an accident situation, and the information set forth above shall not constitute our undertaking, on your behalf or for the benefit of others, to determine or warrant that your actions are safe or healthful, or are in compliance with any law, rule or regulation. Readers seeking resolution of specific safety issues or concerns regarding this topic should contact local law enforcement.
Report Your Claim
You can report an auto claim quickly online.
Report a claim
You can also report an auto insurance claim by phone 24/7:
Find a Repair Shop
With approved auto repair shops nationwide, we make repairs easier and more reliable.