Individual Annuity Tax Forms
You may obtain a copy of form 1099-R online. Just log in to your annuity account and go to Online Documents to view or print the form. For copies of any other forms, please contact us.
Need further assistance?
Contact your personal tax advisor for assistance in filling out your individual tax returns with the information on your annuity tax forms. If you have questions about the information on your annuity tax forms, you may contact us. Our service specialists will be happy to assist. View frequently asked questions below.
|Form||You will receive this form if you:||Date|
Have a Safe Haven annuity account that earned interest of $10 or more during the calendar year.
Took a distribution of $10 or more from your annuity, IRA or other tax-advantaged retirement account. Please note that the IRS requires us to issue 1099-Rs reporting 1035 exchanges even though they are non-taxable.
Are a non-resident alien* or foreign corporation and received gross income from a Hartford Individual Annuity Contract.
Contributed to or had any other reportable event (rollover, recharacterization, Roth conversion) on a Traditional, Roth, SEP or SIMPLE IRA.
State Tax Information for Retirement Accounts
The Hartford Individual Annuities makes every effort to obtain information about state tax laws deemed to be reliable. However, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of state tax withholding information because state tax laws are subject to change and interpretation.
We recommend that you contact your tax advisor regarding your tax withholding elections and to answer questions that you may have regarding your state’s withholding laws.
State tax withholding is reported on form 1099-R.
This information is written in connection with the promotion or marketing of the matter(s) addressed in this material. The information cannot be used or relied upon for the purpose of avoiding IRS penalties. These materials are not intended to provide tax, accounting or legal advice. As with all matters of a tax or legal nature, you should consult your own tax or legal counsel for advice.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The owner of the contract, certificate or account who has received a distribution in 2016.
- The previous owner, if a taxable ownership change occurred.
- The beneficiary of the account if a death benefit was distributed. In the case of more than one beneficiary, each person receiving proceeds from the account is sent a 1099-R. (For beneficiaries who have received a safe haven account, a 1099-INT will be sent.)
- You may not have taken any taxable distributions during the calendar year.
- Your account may be a Charitable Remainder Trust (CRT). Tax reporting on a CRT is ultimately the responsibility of the trustee. No tax reporting is done by The Hartford.
- If your account is custodian-owned, tax reporting is the responsibility of the custodian.
- Your transaction may have been for a direct transfer between IRA accounts.
- A "right to cancel" transaction on your non-qualified account did not result in taxable earnings (total cash value less the tax cost basis). Form 1099-R is not issued for return of tax cost basis (principal).
- Distributions from any non-qualified contract may be non-taxable if the value drops below the cost basis.
- Taxable ownership changes
- Collateral assignments
- To report on annual earnings on policies owned by non-natural owner not acting as an agent for a natural person Roth conversions and re-characterizations