Develop Technical, Analytical & Leadership Skills
An exceptional risk management operation has been essential to The Hartford’s success and our ability to prevail as a company for the last 200 years. Our Early Career Risk Development Program (ECRDP) educates participants on the key areas of our Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) organization and empowers them with the skills and technical discipline they’ll need to become valuable leaders at The Hartford.
As an ECRDP participant at The Hartford, you’ll be introduced to the extended community of early career professionals in other development programs who are also being groomed to become leaders in our organization. This program is ideal for college graduates who have a strong desire to succeed and are ready to launch their careers in risk management at a time-honored and highly reputable Fortune 500 Company.
The ECRDP program includes technical and leadership training:
- Work under the guidance and direct supervision of a risk manager or associate risk manager while also interacting with senior ERM leaders.
- Assist in the application of risk management tools that improve the monitoring of The Hartford’s overall enterprise risk position.
- Explore the various types of enterprise risk (GAAP, STAT, and Economic).
- Exam fee reimbursements
- Study time during regular work hours for professional certifications
- Mentoring support
- Opportunities to interact with senior leadership on a regular basis
- Networking with other early career professionals across the enterprise.
Gain Valuable Experience in the Major Risk Categories
- Build an understanding of corporate profitability objectives and risk tolerance.
- Complete global market research for The Hartford’s Chief Risk Officer to identify macro level risk insights.
- Support state regulatory reporting and rating agency reviews.
- Get exposure to a unique and increasingly challenging risk discipline in areas such as Asset & Liability Management, Equity Risk Management, Interest Rate Risk Management, and Currency Risk Management.
- Establish a working understanding of the global economy and capital markets.
- Gain exposure to The Hartford’s overall catastrophe and non-catastrophe risk categories.
- Understand how The Hartford procures and leverages reinsurance.
- Protect against operational events such as cyber security, fraud, and claims malpractice that could potentially affect The Hartford.
- Independently validate The Hartford’s key risk models.
This program is recognized by senior risk leaders at The Hartford as an important way for us to attract top-tier risk management talent. Qualifications for acceptance to the program include:
- Bachelor’s degree with a solid analytical foundation such as risk management & insurance, math, finance, economics or statistics.
- Preferred minimum GPA of 3.2 and demonstrated leadership potential through extracurricular activities
- A record of high achievement, self-motivation, ability to multi-task, and a solid work ethic
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to analyze complex problems and to make sound recommendations in a fast-paced work environment
- Self-motivated and willingness to pursue professional certifications or designations, and progress through exam requirements in a timely manner.