Jump-Start Your Underwriting Career
Pursue your passion for analysis and critical thinking with a career in underwriting at The Hartford. Our Underwriter Trainee Programs provide an opportunity for high achieving early career professionals like you to build a solid foundation that can lead to a promising and enduring career in the insurance industry.
The Hartford offers a diverse array of career options to our distinguished underwriters. Some of our underwriters prefer working in constantly changing fields, facing different challenges that require new skills; others gain a great sense of reward and satisfaction from a determined focus, mastery and expertise in a single area. Whatever your preferences, we have a variety of underwriting career paths and are confident you’ll find a personally and professionally rewarding career at The Hartford.
At The Hartford, our underwriters build personal, long-lasting relationships with key customers. By helping identify customer’s needs, and communicating how The Hartford can meet them, our underwriters are able to help acquire new business, retain, and expand business with existing customers. As a trainee, you will learn the valuable underwriting skills and capabilities that help The Hartford achieve our business goals. These include:
- Producing new business sales by frequently interacting with assigned agents in order to increase The Hartford’s penetration of the agent’s existing books of business.
- Reviewing insurance policy submissions and determining The Hartford's appetite to offer a quote, underwriting and pricing new and renewal business as well as presenting insurance proposals to the agent.
- Maintaining knowledge of the regional office strategic direction and plan, including goals and objectives to achieve profit and growth.
- Becoming the carrier of choice by delivering on commitments, plus communicating, publicizing and providing training to agents and their staff on new products and programs.
- Achieving the operating plan objectives via new business production, retention of quality renewals and development of cross sell opportunities through frequent interaction with assigned agents. In turn, this will significantly increase The Hartford's reach of the agent's existing books of business.
- Effectively using on-line resources, automation tools, and computer software packages.
- Continuously developing and strengthening the skills required for success in the sales underwriting position to prepare for additional responsibility and future carrier opportunities at The Hartford.