Comprehensive Protection for Real Estate Businesses
Who We Serve
Real estate firms and professionals face varied and complex risks that can have serious financial implications. At The Hartford, we put our years of experience in real estate to work for your client, with coverages and services to meet the specific needs of this industry.
The Hartford has broad capabilities and appetite to meet the specialized needs of the real estate industry, including:
Commercial property owners and managers whose primary source of income is rents and fees associated with:
- Office buildings – Classes A, B and C office space
- Retail – Independent buildings, open-air strip centers and enclosed malls
- Industrial – Manufacturing facilities, flex and R&D buildings and distribution centers
- Property management companies who contract with the owners of real estate to manage and purchase insurance coverage
- Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)
We offer a wide range of customizable coverages for your clients in the real estate industry:
- Property Choice® with SPICE® (Specialized Property Insurance Coverage Endorsements) provides enhanced business income coverage for real estate owners and managers.
- Asset protection designed for property owners who use triple net leases provides contingent property and business income coverage if a tenant fails to secure the required insurance.
Our General Liability Choice® product provides:
- Coverage for newly acquired or formed real estate organizations for up to 45 days
- For property managers, additional insured status for investor-owners of the property managed by the insured
- Choice of medical payment limits for third-party claims
- Marine coverages with builders’ risk for new construction and installation of new equipment
- Professional Liability (Errors and Omissions) coverage for small to midsize real estate firms and home inspectors is available through our exclusive program manager, BNK Insurance Services. The Hartford Professional Choice Liability Policy® offers cutting-edge protection for large and more complex real estate firms.
- Directors, Officers and Company Liability Policy for Real Estate Investment Trusts Association form offers broad D&O protection for REITs belonging to a trade association.
Broad General Coverage
- Commercial automobile includes our broad form endorsement at no additional cost
- Industry-leading workers’ compensation broad form with pay-as-you-go billing
- Umbrella/excess liability coverage for general liability, auto, and management and professional liability products
- Group benefits such as:
Our Risk Engineering team provides loss control support important to commercial real estate, including:
- Property risk engineering surveys, especially valuable for multi-tenant properties
- Automatic sprinkler system evaluation
- Information on roof inspection and maintenance, and on preventive maintenance for electrical and mechanical equipment
Larger real estate clients also benefit from TREO | Track Risk. Explore Opportunities.SM – our web-based risk management information system that provides self-service tools and functionality for assessing, understanding and controlling risk.
Specialized Claims Service
Our claims services include:
- 24/7 claim reporting, important in commercial real estate where slips and falls account for nearly 70 percent of third-party claims
- Certified public accountants to support business interruption claims
- Investigative services to help eliminate fraudulent claims