The Hartford makes it easy to get a business insurance quote online.
What Is General Liability Insurance Coverage?
General Liability Insurance coverage (GL) helps protect your business from property damage claims, bodily injury claims and personal and advertising injury claims that could put your business assets at risk.
Commercial General Liability insurance (CGL), also known as Business Liability Insurance or General Liability Insurance provides coverage for customer injuries, damage to others' property, and lawsuits. It can help pay for medical expenses as well as legal costs if an incident leads to a lawsuit.
Consider The Hartford for your Commercial Liability Insurance, it offers some of the broadest business insurance coverage available today.
What Does Commercial General Liability Insurance Cover?
Commercial General Liability insurance helps protect businesses and their employees from the risk of lawsuits involving claims of bodily injury, property damage, libel, slander, false advertising and more.
For example, Commercial Liability Insurance coverage can help cover the costs related to claims of:
- Bodily injury or property damage – for claims that your business caused someone bodily harm or damaged someone's property.
- Reputational harm – for claims of malicious prosecution, libel, slander, wrongful eviction, violation of the right of privacy and more.
- Advertising errors – for claims of false advertising or copyright infringement in your advertisements.
- Medical payments – to help cover medical costs if someone sustains an injury at your business.
- Damage to rented property – if property you rent is damaged by fire, lightning or explosion.
Commercial Liability Insurance from The Hartford provides some of the broadest business insurance coverage available today. General Liability is one of the coverages included in our Business Owner's Policy and it is also available as stand-alone coverage.
How Much Does General Liability Insurance Cost?
The cost of a General Liability (GL) policy premium varies widely depending on the business. Several factors are baked into the calculations that ultimately determine a business's GL policy premium. These factors include the type of business – as you would imagine, companies in higher risk industries, like construction for example, are charged higher premiums than lower risk businesses, like consulting companies.
Other factors that figure into a premium rate calculation include the years of business experience in the industry, where more experience may equate to lower rates; and the location, size and condition of your business premises. Sometimes your insurance claims history can also be a factor.
Then there are policy specific details that also affect your rate such as coverage limits – higher coverage limits cost more. On the other hand, electing higher deductibles can help lower your premium cost.
To learn more about what a General Liability Insurance policy will cost your business; get a free GL quote online.
Why Do You Need General Liability Insurance?
Many business owners wonder why they need General Liability Insurance and the answer is simple; you need GL insurance to help protect your business from the potentially devastating costs of liability claims that may arise from even the most common business situations. These include: if you or your employees represent your client's business, meet with clients face-to-face, work on or with others' property, or use third-party locations for business activities. You'll also want GL if you need protection for advertising injury lawsuits or have clients or customers who require proof of insurance before signing into a contract. Get a GL quote today.
What Is Specialty General Liability Insurance?
Specialty General Liability insurance (SGL) is designed for "higher hazard" liability exposures that typically involve unique products, services and premises risks. Our SGL group includes underwriters, risk engineering consultants and liability claims specialists who are experienced in hard-to place and special products and premises risks. We offer solutions for manufacturers, wholesaler-distributors and importers of difficult-to-place products, as well as others with unique or difficult General Liability exposures. Stand-alone or bundled with other solutions from The Hartford, our Specialty General Liability coverage and services are designed to provide a total solution. Our coverage helps protect against third party injuries and associated defense costs in addition to other high hazard exposures.
Learn More about Specialty General Liability Insurance.
Extended Business Liability Insurance Coverage & Risk Engineering
- Extending Your Coverage – If a contract requires a business to add individuals/entities to its business liability insurance coverage, The Hartford helps make it easy to add them to the policy.
- Improve Safety and Reduce Risk – One of the best ways to avoid a lawsuit is to run the safest business possible. The Hartford's Risk Engineering group is part of our General Liability Insurance policy team and can help with one-on-one risk management consultations and safety seminars. They can also find ways to save companies money with discounts for things like installing safety equipment and following best practices.
Is Business Liability Insurance Required by Law?
Business Liability Insurance is not usually required by law but can protect your business and personal assets from being taken in a judgment against you or as a tenant if you cause damage to a property you rent. Some states require coverage when applying for professional licenses such as a plumber's license or an electrician license.
More Answers to Frequently Asked General Liability Insurance Questions
- What Is Liability Insurance Coverage?
- What Is Commercial General Liability Insurance?
- How Much Does General Liability Insurance Cost?
- What Does General Liability Insurance Cover?
- How to Get General Liability Insurance
- Commercial General Liability Insurance
- General Liability Insurance Coverage
- General Liability Insurance Certificate
- Short-Term General Liability
- Types of General Liability Claims
- Independent Contractor Liability Insurance
- Cleaning Business Insurance