Getting Liability Insurance for a Small Business
Getting a liability insurance policy for your small business is quick and easy with The Hartford. With a few pieces of information about your business, you can get a quote today online for your small business in a few minutes.
Here’s how you can get a small business liability insurance policy:
- Do your research. Make sure you’re choosing the right liability insurance for your business by comparing insurance companies. The Hartford is always available to answer any business insurance questions you may have. We can help you find the right coverage for the right price.
- Assess your business. Take a look at your business to help you determine what type of business insurance you’ll need. The Hartford is here to help you identify what could be potential risks to your company or employees. The Hartford can also help you save on your insurance with any available discounts.
- Get a quote. The Hartford provides quotes online and over the phone. Getting the right insurance policy means doing your research, comparing plans and coverages, and looking at customer reviews.
- Review your policy. A lot can change with your business in a year. If your business has grown, you may need to make changes to your coverages to ensure you’re properly covered and not vulnerable to any liabilities or risks.
- Contact The Hartford. We can help you craft the perfect policy for your small business now and into the future.
While you can purchase liability insurance as a separate policy, there are benefits to getting a full package policy, such as a business owner’s policy. A business owner’s policy, also known as a BOP, combines general liability and commercial property coverages into one convenient policy. By getting a BOP, your business will have at least two different coverages to help protect it against various claims.
What Kind of Small Business Insurance Do I Need?
Liability insurance for small businesses helps protect your business. It helps cover the costs you may be responsible for from claims of bodily injury and property damage to others that are made against your business. Liability insurance covers claims of property damage and bodily injury that may be caused by products, damage due to operations, libel, slander, advertising errors, and personal injury.
Here are some incidents where liability insurance coverage can help protect your business:
- A customer slips and falls while visiting your business office and injures themselves. Liability insurance coverage can help cover their medical costs.
- An employee drops a piece of equipment on a customer’s phone. The phone is damaged and unusable. Liability coverage can help cover the costs to replace the customer’s phone.
- You’re interviewed by a reporter and asked about a competitor. You make a comment that harms the reputation of the competitor. The competitor sues your business for slander. Liability insurance can help cover the legal costs.
- You put out an advertisement to try to convince customers to visit your store and not a competitor’s. The owner of the competitor store sees the advertisement and files a lawsuit against your business claiming the ad damaged their store’s reputation. A liability insurance policy can help cover the legal costs.
Most businesses need more than just liability insurance. That’s because a general liability insurance policy doesn’t cover other types of claims, including employee injuries, professional errors, or damages from a car accident.
For example, if an employee is injured while lifting a box at work, your business’s liability insurance policy won’t cover the claim. Or if your employee is involved in a car accident while completing a business responsibility, the business liability insurance policy won’t cover the damages. You’ll need other types of insurances to help cover the incidents in these examples.
The Hartford can help you identify the types of insurance or additional insurance you may need for your business to ensure there is comprehensive coverage. Generally, a business will need these essential coverages:
- Property Insurance: Helps protect the building your business owns or leases, as well as your business personal property, including tools and equipment, furniture, and inventory.
- Liability Insurance: Helps cover costs from bodily injury and property damage claims. It also helps cover claims resulting from operations, personal injury, libel, slander, or advertising errors.
- Commercial Auto Insurance: Helps your business cover the costs of an auto accident if you or your employee is found at fault.
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance: Provides benefits to employees if they’re sick or injured from a work-related cause. Benefits can include replacing wages from lost work time and helping cover the costs of medical care.
If your business is small and employs between one to three people, you may not need workers’ compensation insurance. It’s important to let The Hartford help your business make that decision, so you can assess the risks of having coverage and not having coverage.
In addition to the essential coverages, your small business may need additional insurances, including:
- Umbrella policies: Provides your business with additional liability coverage. This can help protect your business against potentially devastating costs of claims.
- Specialized liability policies: These can include professional liability insurance (or E&O insurance), employment practices liability insurance, directors and officers insurance, or business identity theft insurance.
- Terrorism insurance: This is standard after 9/11 and helps cover property damage resulting from a terrorist attack. Depending on your policy, it may help cover other losses that disrupt your business operation as well.
Why Get Small Business Liability Insurance From The Hartford
Business liability insurance is typically a part of a business owner’s policy. Every business is unique. So the type of insurance and how much coverage you’ll need depends on your business. The cost of your policy is dependent on how much coverage you decide to get. But The Hartford is here to help you choose the best business liability insurance plan that fits your budget.
After doing your research, you can reach out to The Hartford to make sure you have the right insurance for your business. We can help you compare quotes and answer any of your questions. We can also provide additional coverages for your small business to help give your business comprehensive coverage.