Volunteer Firefighters Take on Risk – We Have Their Back
It’s a well-known fact that certain types of cancer are a health risk for firefighters. With that diagnosis come major costs.
Thanks to the signing of GML-205CC, volunteer firefighters throughout New York State are now entitled to an enhanced cancer disability benefit insurance program provided by their fire district, department or company. It’s why the AFDSNY, FASNY and NYSAFC, together with NYSAC, NYCOM, AOT, PERMA and NY Comp Alliance have partnered with The Hartford to bring you a way to help protect our 110,000 volunteer firefighters and their families: the New York State Volunteer Firefighter Cancer Benefit program.
Designed by Firefighters for Firefighters
Recovery should be the focus when a cancer diagnosis occurs. The Cancer Benefit program helps make that possible. Offering three forms of protection, our two distinct coverage plans are designed to help provide financial support for eligible volunteer firefighters diagnosed with cancer, and their families.
All New York State volunteer firefighters who’ve:
- Served at least 5 years as interior firefighter.
- Passed a physical exam with no evidence of cancer upon entrance as a volunteer.
- Pass 5 annual mask fit tests.
What Types of Cancer Are Covered under the Enhanced Plan?
- Cancers affecting the prostate or breast; lymphatic, hematological, digestive, urinary, neurological or reproductive systems; and melanoma are covered by this policy. As required by New York law, lung cancer, mesothelioma, sarcomas, non-melanoma skin cancers, or certain cancers of the endocrine system are not covered by this policy.
What Types of Cancer Are Covered Under the Premium Plan?
- All cancers are covered under the Premium Plan, as defined in the policy.
Coverage Amounts for Cancer (Lump-Sum Cancer)
- $6,250 per diagnosis for less severe forms of cancer as defined in the policy.
- $25,000 per diagnosis for more severe forms of cancer as defined in the policy.
- $250 once per lifetime for non-melanoma skin cancer (under the Premium Plan only).
Coverage Amounts for Long-Term Disability
- $1,500 per month
- 36-month maximum
A Toolkit That Educates
The Hartford also offers materials to help you communicate with your volunteer firefighters including:
- A self-service email on the benefit and The Hartford.
- Educational videos on Lump-Sum Cancer and Long-Term Disability.
- A flyer on key information.
- A how-to email on filing a claim.
Cancer Awareness and Prevention
- A brochure on cancer risks and prevention.