Last Updated June 20, 2018
- Information We Collect
- How We Use Information
- How We Share Information
- Links to Other Online Services
- Children's Privacy
- Social Media
- How We Protect Information
- International Users
- Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Your Choices
- Changes to This Policy
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect various types of information provided by users of the Services. This may include such information as:
- Contact and Identifying Information: We may collect contact and identifying information, such as names, home addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth, and in some instances Social Security numbers or health information, and other application or quote information.
- Application, Quote, or Claim: If you submit an application, quote, or a claim, we may collect information that you provide and other related information such as automobile information (including driver’s license number and VIN).
- Account Information: If you create, register, or connect an online account in connection with our Services, we may store your username, password (and password hint information) and other basic account information that you may provide or that may be associated with that account.
- Job Application: If you apply for a job with us, we may collect information about your work and educational history, and other information that you choose to provide us in connection with your application.
- Log Information: We also collect log information when you use the Services, which may include, information about how you have used the services, device information, access times, IP addresses, and related browsing information.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION
We use information provided by individuals who use our Services to fulfill the purpose for which the user provided the information and for other purposes as permitted by law, such as:
- Providing you with the Services that you request, such as by completing transactions, processing claims, or providing a quote for one of our products
- Communicating with you, for example to respond to inquiries
- Providing you with information, including communications and interest based advertisements on the Website and other websites you visit and marketing communications
- Informing you of job opportunities and evaluating your suitability for a job
- Completing a survey
- Developing operating, delivering, maintaining, improving, enhancing, and protecting the Website and other Services we provide
- Monitoring, analysis, and research, including of trends, and usage, and advertising-related services
- Enhancing the safety and security of the Services and preventing fraud or protecting our or our customers’ rights or property
- Enforcing applicable terms and conditions and other applicable policies
- Other purposes specifically disclosed at the time the information is requested
We may de-identify information collected by removing identifiers, such as your name, or by aggregating information about multiple users. We may work with third parties to aggregate such information on our behalf. Aggregate information collected on the Services does not personally identify you, and we may use aggregated information for the purposes described above, and share aggregate information with third parties for lawful purposes.
HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
Disclosures Among our Affiliates
If we share your information among our affiliates for marketing purposes, in certain circumstances as required by applicable laws, we will inform you and provide you with an opt-out option, and upon request, we will provide to you a list of all third parties with whom personal information has been shared.
Disclosures to Third Parties
We work with third parties that provide services to us and partner with third parties to develop, operate, deliver, maintain, improve, enhance, and protect the Services and in connection with other The Hartford offerings and operations. We may share your information with such third parties. Those parties can include but are not limited to:
- Financial service providers, such as independent agents, brokerage firms, insurance companies
- Website hosting or information technology consulting service providers
- Marketing and promotion service providers
- Data analysis service providers
- Legal service providers
- Accounting service providers
- Administrative service providers
- Security service providers
- Application service providers
We may also share information about users and customers with nonaffiliated companies with whom we have a marketing or other business relationship, including nonaffiliated financial services providers with whom we jointly market products.
We may also disclose your information to:
- Comply with applicable laws
- Respond to governmental inquires or requests
- Comply with valid legal processes
- Protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of https://www.thehartford.com visitors, users of the Services, customers and the public
- Permit us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain
- Enforce our Terms of Service
In the event there is a change or contemplated change in the corporate structure of The Hartford, such as a merger, consolidation, sale, liquidation or transfer of substantial assets, The Hartford may disclose your information and may, in its sole discretion, transfer, sell or assign information collected on and through the Services, including your information, to one or more affiliated or nonaffiliated third parties.
LINKS TO OTHER ONLINE SERVICES
The Hartford's Services are not directed to or intended for children. The Hartford does not knowingly collect or post information from children under the age of 13, in compliance with laws protecting the privacy of children. You can visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website to learn more about the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
The Hartford maintains profiles and/or pages on various social media sites including Facebook and Twitter. If you choose to “Like” The Hartford on Facebook, “Follow” The Hartford on Twitter, or take any similar action on another social media site, you are providing your consent to receive information updates, including solicitations, from The Hartford. To stop receiving this information from The Hartford on a social media site, you must follow the procedure established by the social media site. For example, on Facebook, you must click “Unlike” on The Hartford’s page, and, on Twitter, you must click “Unfollow” on The Hartford’s profile.
HOW WE PROTECT INFORMATION
The protection and security of your information is important to us. We work to adopt reasonable physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect the personal information transmitted between users and the Services and the personal information stored on our servers, and we require third parties with whom we share personal information to use reasonable precautions to safeguard such information. Unfortunately, no method of transmitting or storing data can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, although we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure the security of any information you transmit to us through, or in connection with, the Services. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), you must immediately notify us by contacting us at the contact information listed below. In the event that we believe the security of your personal information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If notification is appropriate, we would endeavor to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, to the extent we have your email address, we may notify you by email.
Security tip: If you receive an email or other correspondence requesting that you provide any sensitive information (including your password or social security number) via email or to a website that does not seem to be affiliated with the Services, or that otherwise seems suspicious to you, please do not provide such information. Report such requests to us at the contact information listed below.
COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
If your contact information changes, if you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us or to have us share your information with third parties for marketing purposes, or if you wish to inquire about the information we have collected about you, please submit a request at the contact information listed below.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY