What does a Homeowners Insurance Policy cover?
Homes can be as different as the people who live in them. Check out all these popular homeowners insurance coverage options. Our experts can help you select the right home insurance options to cover the unique place you live in, the things you value and your assets.
Dwelling Coverage – Helps protects your home and the structures directly attached to it. This can include coverage for electrical wiring, plumbing, heating and air conditioning as well as larger structures like foundations, staircases, and walls. Tip: Choose the right amount of coverage – enough to cover the cost to rebuild your house in the case of a total loss.
Other Structures – Helps cover buildings on your property that aren’t attached to your house. For example, if a tree falls on your garage that is not attached to your house, someone drives through your picket fence or your shed collapses from heavy snow, this coverage can help pay for the damage.
Personal Property – Helps protect your personal belongings such as furniture, clothing and appliances. You can purchase additional coverage for valuable items and other special possessions such as jewelry and rare or collectible items.
Loss of Use – Helps pay your living expenses up to policy limits if you cannot live in your home due to a covered loss. For example, if your house is under repairs after a fire does significant damage, this coverage will help pay the costs for you to stay in a hotel while the repairs are being done.
– Helps protect you in two ways. First, it provides for your legal defense against a liability claim (lawsuit). Second, it will help pay any court judgments against you for covered losses, up to the policy limit. For example, your pet injures a neighbor or guest, or your long drive on the golf course injures someone on the fairway. This coverage can help pay for damages that you are held liable for.
Learn About Personal Liability Coverage
Medical Payments – Helps pay emergency medical bills if someone is injured on your property. It also covers any injury caused by a member of your family or your pet regardless of where it happens. Bills are paid, up to policy limits, whether you're legally responsible or not. This coverage is needed for something as simple as a guest tripping and falling down your staircase. Homeowner’s liability insurance can help when you are left to pay the medical bills.1
Concerned about major damage to your home?
These options could help you feel greater peace of mind.
Full Replacement Cost, Maybe More – Pays the full cost to rebuild your home if it is a total loss up to 125% of your coverage limits. Depending on where you live, an option providing up to 150% of coverage limits may be available.2
ProtectorPLUS Zero Deductible Benefit – Waives homeowners insurance deductible (up to $5,000) if your home is severely damaged by a qualifying loss of $27,500 or more. For example, if your home is struck by lightning and there is massive electrical and structural damage that exceeds $27,500. Without ProtectorPLUS Zero Deductible Benefit, you would only receive payment for the loss that exceeds your deductible.3
See options included in our Advantage and Advantage Plus packages.
Home Advantage Package4
Bundle some of these popular coverages on top of your base policy:
“New for Old” Protection‡ – If your possessions are destroyed by a covered loss, we’ll help provide the actual cost to replace them with brand new ones that are of the same quality – even if they’re old or not in the best condition at the time of the damage.
Personal Injury Liability Coverage – Helps cover potential damages arising from a libel or slander claim.
Reimbursement for Replacing Locks – Losing a key to your front door can be a hassle. For example, if you don’t have a spare, you’ll need to get an entirely new lock for the door. If that key is stolen, you may want to get new locks for all your doors. This coverage pays up to $500 to replace locks, with a $100 deductible, if a key is lost or stolen.
Identity Fraud Expense Coverage – Compensates out-of-pocket expenses for up to $50,000 with our Advantage Plus Package to help you recover after fraud or identity theft. This can even help cover lost income and legal fees.
Home Advantage Plus Package5
Includes these additional coverages on top of those in your Advantage package and your base policy:
Disappearing Property Deductible‡‡ – Rewards safe home and condo owners by reducing your deductible $50 for every three years you go without having a condo insurance loss. With Disappearing Property Deductible, you can get your deductible all the way down to $0.6
This reduction of deductible does not apply to Mine Subsidence and Equipment Breakdown coverage.
Equipment Protection Advantage – Helps cover the cost of repairing or replacing appliances and electronics that break down from normal usage. For example, your refrigerator compressor has an electrical arc, that causes it to no longer work, we can help cover the cost of repairing it or replacing it.7
Many homeowners have unique insurance needs. If you’re like them, you might like these options.
Green Rebuilding – Increases your policy limits up to 10% when you use green, environmentally friendly materials or processes for repairs and rebuilds after a covered loss. For example, if a room in your home is destroyed by a covered loss, and you decide to repaint it using environmentally friendly paint that has a low VOC, replace flooring that is from an easily renewable resource, and use demolition techniques that are better for the environment , and any extra costs could be covered by this endorsement.
Valuable Items “Blanket” Coverage – Easily protects important belongings such as dinnerware, artwork and other valuables without additional paperwork or scheduled appraisals.8
Water Backup and Sump Pump Overflow * – Helps cover property that is damaged by backed up water or overflow from a sump pump. This doesn’t cover damage from flood or surface water.9
Assisted Living Care Coverage – Extends Liability, Contents, and Additional Living Expenses Coverage to a relative in an assisted living care facility.10
Scheduled Personal Property – Goes beyond your standard homeowners policy’s coverage for high value items. This covers 100% of the insured value of selected items should they be damaged or destroyed in a total covered loss.11
The Hartford ID Hotline, Identity Restoration Services – Our customers get access to qualified fraud specialists through our Identity Theft 911’s Resolution Center and The Hartford ID hotline. Here, customers can receive one-on-one answers to questions about identity theft, fraud and tips on how to safely manage personal information.
We’ll show you how to safeguard yourself to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of identity theft. And if ID theft does occur, we’ll walk you through every step of the recovery process.
Rental Property Protection Plus
Are you a landlord? The Hartford’s Rental Property Protection Plus is an easy way to insure up to four family rental units. Coverage includes:
Replacement cost of your rental dwelling
Optional coverage for detached structures
Fair rental value (20% of dwelling coverage)
Property damage by vandalism or burglars
Damage to lawns, plants and shrubs
Premises Liability and Personal Injury
Equipment Protection Advantage
There are a host of additional coverages that can also be applied to the Rental Property Protection Plus policy.
Not all features and benefits are available in all states. Conditions and exclusions apply.
‡ Some benefits, such as the Contents Replacement Coverage, are only available with the optional Home Advantage Plus package. A policy without these added benefits is also available.
‡‡ Some benefits, such as the Disappearing Property Deductible, are only available with the optional Advantage Plus package. A policy without these added benefits is also available. To qualify for the Disappearing Property Deductible, homeowners must have no claims or losses for three consecutive years in most states. The Advantage Plus package option and the Disappearing Property Deductible benefit are not available in all states.
* Does not provide coverage for water damage caused by direct or indirect flooding. Also does not provide coverage for water backup of sewers or drain, or overflow or discharge of a sump pump if it’s caused by flooding.
1. Medical benefits are calculated on the basis of usual, customary and reasonable charges.
2. The Hartford will pay the full cost to rebuild your home, even if it costs up to 125% of your home insurance policy’s coverage
‡ This is an optional coverage and may not be available in all states.
3. This benefit will completely eliminate your homeowners insurance deductible (up to $5,000), if you have a qualifying claim of $27,500 or more.
4. This package is ideal for customers who want extra protection, above their base policy, for certain coverages such as: Replacement Cost Contents Coverage, enhanced Personal Liability Coverage, and ID Fraud Expense Coverage.
5. Our most popular package, Home Advantage Plus includes all the features of Home Advantage, plus extra benefits such as the Disappearing Property Deductible†† and Equipment Protection Advantage.
6. Responsible homeowners deserve to be rewarded. If you have no homeowners claims in the past three years, The Hartford will lower your property insurance deductible by $50. Then, we’ll lower it another $50 after each year without a claim – until your property deductible reaches zero.
7. This coverage pays for the repair or replacement of appliances, electronics and other home systems after a mechanical or electrical breakdown. Equipment Protection Advantage also provides coverage if you want to make “green” upgrades. It pays up to 125 percent of your cost to replace any covered equipment with items that are similar, but more energy efficient or environmentally friendly.
8. An easy, convenient way to add a higher level of protection for valuable items such as jewelry, silverware, fine art, musical instruments, cameras, and more – without the added paperwork of scheduling or appraisals.
9. For an additional cost, you can get property protection for water backup or sump overflow – that is not caused by flood or surface water. Our basic coverage amount is $5,000 and other amounts may also be available. Your independent agent can provide further state-specific information about this coverage.
10. Your homeowners policy can help to protect a family member who lives in an assisted care facility. With our optional Assisted Living Care, you can provide Personal Property and Personal Liability coverage for a relative in a nursing home or similar facility. Coverage amounts help to pay for lost personal property, such as hearing aids, eyeglasses, false teeth, wheelchairs and more. This option also provides coverage for Additional Living Expenses (in certain situations).
11. With this benefit, you can have protection against a potential total loss. If such a covered loss occurs, you can receive 100 percent of the insured value for your scheduled personal property.