What Are the Main Kinds of General Liability Claims?
General liability insurance helps protect businesses from being sued by third parties. This includes coverage for bodily injury, property damage, and personal or advertising injury claims.
A general liability insurance policy is the same as a commercial general liability insurance policy. They both provide the same coverages. They’re also sometimes known as business liability insurance. This insurance can be tailored specifically to the needs of your business. For example, you can easily extend your coverage to any individuals you may need to add due to a business contract. We can also help you save money by providing discounts for installing certain safety equipment.
As a business owner, the law doesn’t require you to have business insurance.* However, it is an essential coverage that helps set your business up for success in the future. It also helps protect you when something unfortunate happens to you, your company, or your employees.
For example, say a customer trips and falls while shopping in your gift shop. They then sue you for the medical costs associated with their injury. Your general liability insurance can help cover these costs.
In another example, say you work as a contractor and you accidently damage a customer’s valuable china while working in their home. Your general liability insurance can help cover the costs associated.
Losses can occur at any moment during any day. Having the right business insurance can help protect you in situations like the ones mentioned above. In some cases, business insurance may even help you avoid closing your operation entirely from any lawsuits filed against you.
Typical General Liability Insurance Claims
General liability insurance is a crucial insurance coverage. To see why, consider these five scenarios:
1. A property damage lawsuit. For example, say you rent the building your restaurant is in. After a kitchen fire destroys part of the building, your landlord sues you for $250,000 in damages. Your general liability insurance can help cover the costs associated with the property damage.
In another example, say you need to rearrange the furniture in your business. After dragging the furniture to its new location, you realize you put deep scratches across the entire floor. You also damaged different sections of the walls. When your landlord sees the damage, they sue you for $30,000 in damages. Your general liability insurance can help cover the costs associated with the lawsuit.
2. A slip and fall incident. Say a customer slips and falls in your business after you mop the floor. As a result of the fall, they sprained their ankle and require two surgeries. They sue you for $110,000 in medical costs. Your general liability insurance can help cover the costs associated with this bodily injury.
In another example, say a customer’s child is running up and down your store’s aisles. Suddenly, the child trips, falls, and breaks their leg. As a result, the family sues you for $30,000 for the medical costs. Your general liability insurance can help cover these costs.
3. A product liability lawsuit. Say you own a coffee shop. Recently, you expanded your operation to sell actual coffee pots as well as coffee. However, after a customer purchases one from you, they get burned from hot water due to a faulty design. As a result, they sue you for $50,000 for their medical costs. Your general liability insurance can help cover these costs.
4. A customer injury lawsuit. Say a customer drops a heavy piece of merchandise on their foot. As a result, four toes are broken and they need surgery. They then sue you $50,000 for the medical costs. Your general liability insurance can help cover the costs associated.
5. An advertising lawsuit. For example, say you spend a year creating a new advertising campaign with your trusted team members. After you finally launch it to the public, a company sues you for $150,000 for copyright infringement. Your general liability insurance can help cover the costs associated.
In another example, say you debut your new advertising campaign. A few days later a competitor sues you for $50,000 for slander. Your general liability insurance can help cover these costs.
General liability insurance can help you mitigate both the cost and headache of unexpected incidents. It can also give you peace of mind knowing you have the right protection for life’s unpredictable moments. Who knows, it may even save your business from having to close up shop from any future lawsuits.
How to File a General Liability Claim With The Hartford
Filing a claim at The Hartford is easy. You can report your claim using our online general liability claim reporting form. This form allows you to take your time and collect all the necessary details you need to complete the general liability insurance claim.
To report your claim, you’ll need to provide information including:
- Your policyholder information. This includes your name, contact information, policy number, type of coverage, information on your policy limits, and more.
- Your knowledge of how the accident or loss occurred. This includes details about injuries, witnesses, damages, and when the incident occurred.
After you provide this information, our entry screens will prompt you for the rest of the information you need. As you go through them, you only need to fill out the information that you know.
You can also call our Claims Center for assistance at any time. We’re open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can be reached at 1-800-327-3636. Our representatives will be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the claims process.
Why Get General Liability Insurance From The Hartford
The Hartford has been helping customers out of tough situations for more than 200 years. Whether property is damaged, someone is injured, or you’re facing an advertising injury, The Hartford will be there with you every step of the way.
Speaking with a professional at The Hartford is the first step in making sure your business thrives and is successful for years to come. Our representatives can help you choose the right general liability insurance protection for your business’s specific needs. They do this by listening to your specific needs and matching them up with our comprehensive coverages. Together, you’ll find the protection that is best for your business.
To start a quote and discuss what types of claims can be issued against a general liability insurance policy, contact The Hartford at 1-855-829-1683. Get a quote today in a few minutes.
* Some states have requirements for specific industries to have general liability insurance.