The Hartford makes it easy to get a business insurance quote online, including for business liability, property, and workers' compensation coverage.
Why Hair Salons Need Business Insurance
Beyond making customers feel beautiful, salon owners have a broad range of responsibilities. These include:
- Managing professional staff
- Monitoring finances
- Purchasing, stocking and displaying hair, beauty and grooming products
Each of these activities can expose your business to unique risks. This is in addition to usual issues most businesses may likely deal with, including:
- Workplace property damage
- Loss of important client files
- Loss of important business records
Being vulnerable to these issues is why working with an insurance company to get business insurance is so important. Learn more about hair salon insurance for small business owners from The Hartford. We can help you understand what you typically need to protect your business.
Business Owner’s Policy
Many hair salons have a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP). Why? Because it helps protect your beauty business in much of the same way a homeowners insurance policy helps protect your home and personal possessions.
A BOP combines the three basic insurance coverages that are important to virtually every small business. A BOP can help save you money, while safeguarding the salon business you’ve worked so hard to build.
- General Liability. Helps protect your hair salon from certain lawsuits alleging bodily injuries or property damage that occurred as the result of your business operations. For example, say a customer falls and hurts themselves while in your salon. Or an employee spills hair color and ruins a customer’s purse or clothing. General liability coverage can help cover the costs. It can also help cover certain claims of slander and libel against your business. This doesn't cover liability arising out of the professional salon service you may provide.
- Commercial Property. If damage occurs to your hair salon and harms the tools and equipment you use, this coverage can help cover the costs. Tools and equipment can include furniture, styling brushes, curling irons and computers.
- Business Income. This type of insurance helps cover the loss of income when you can’t run your salon because of covered property damage.
Learn more about our BOP for your small hair salon business.
Easily Add Optional Insurance Coverage to a Hair Salon’s BOP
Professional Liability for Hairstylists
Hairstylist insurance is an absolute must. Scissors, chemicals and hot surfaces means errors and omissions can happen in any hair salon. Your small business can quickly be sued for damages and expenses resulting from:
- The professional beauty services or other esthetician-related services you and your staff provide
- The failure of your professional services to perform as intended
Your business can be sued for these reasons even if you’ve done nothing wrong. If a client sues, professional liability insurance can help cover the cost of your defense.
Data Breach Coverage for Salons
Hair salon businesses may store sensitive information about their employees, stylists, manicurists and clients. This data can include debit/credit card numbers. If this information gets lost or stolen, it could leave your business vulnerable to lawsuits and a damaged reputation.
If personally identifiable information gets lost or stolen, data breach coverage can help pay the recovery costs. This includes:
- Notifying impacted individuals
- Managing public relations
- Good faith advertising
Employment Practices Liability Insurance
It’s possible for a hair salon’s current or former employees to make claims of wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation and harassment. For example, say a former employee of your hair salon sues. She claims she had to resign because appropriate medical accommodations weren’t made for her. Employment practices liability insurance may help cover the legal costs associated with the claim.
Backup of Sewers & Drains
Your hair salon may experience hair clogged drains while working on the job. This may cause water to damage your building. Backup of sewers and drains coverage may help cover the clean-up costs.
Bundle Insurance Coverage for Hair Salon Businesses
Stretch Your Dollar
It’s easy to increase your hair salon’s BOP protection at an affordable price. The Hartford’s Stretch® endorsement plans bundle valuable key hair salon insurance coverages. For hair salons like yours we offer:
- Basic Stretch
- Super Stretch
- Super Stretch for Business Services
Contact an agent or a call a presentative from The Hartford about these cost-effective solutions. We can help take the guesswork out of selecting the right coverage for your hair salon. Salon insurance shouldn’t be confusing. Let The Hartford help you build the right policy for you, your salon and your stylists.
Other Important Insurance Options for Hair Salon Businesses
If your hair salon or shop has employees, uses a car for work or you work from home, your small business could also benefit from a few of the following policies:
Workers’ Compensation Insurance
Required by most states, workers’ compensation provides benefits to employees for work-related injuries or illnesses. These employees include:
- Other employees of your hair salon
Benefits could include medical care, helping cover medical bills and replacing some wages from lost work time. If the worker’s family decides to sue you, workers’ comp coverage can help you with the related legal fees, as well. Hair salons and beauty salons are among the many businesses that have been turning to The Hartford for workers’ compensation for more than two centuries.
Commercial Auto Insurance
Do you ever use your own car or truck to visit clients for house calls, provide hair styling for a wedding party at the venue, or pick up beauty supplies for your hair salon? A business auto policy provides coverage not typically included in a personal auto insurance policy. It can help cover you or an employee when an owned vehicle is involved in an accident while being used for business purposes.
Home-Based Business Solutions
If you run your hair salon out of your home, you probably want a BOP. A BOP provides coverage not generally available with a homeowner’s insurance policy. Consider a BOP if you have:
- Clients coming to your home
- Accept deliveries of hair and beauty products at your house
- Have employees or inventory in your home
Your agent or a representative from The Hartford can help you select the right coverage to protect your salon or beauty business.
Insurance Options for Hair Salons & Hairstylists
The Hartford can help small business owners of hair salons and hairstylists reach their fullest potential. We can help protect their businesses and livelihoods. If you think you would benefit from salon insurance, give The Hartford a call today. Our team of experts can help walk you through the different insurance coverages. You can tailor your insurance policy to meet your business’s unique needs.