Home or Commercial Interior Design Business Insurance

Looking for Business Insurance Coverage?

The Hartford makes it easy to get a business insurance quote online, including for business liability, property, and workers' compensation coverage.
Start Quote

Why Home or Commercial Interior Design Firms Need Business Insurance

Whether you specialize in residential, commercial or outdoor spaces, running a home or commercial interior design business can expose you to unique risks. This is in addition to the usual issues most businesses deal with like workplace property damage or data loss. Learn about the coverages interior design professionals typically need, and most often purchase, from The Hartford.

Business Owner’s Policy

Most home and commercial design businesses have a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP). Why? Because it helps protect your small interior design business in much the same way a homeowner’s policy helps protect your home and personal possessions.
By combining three basic insurance coverages that are important to virtually every small business, including home and commercial interior design firms, a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP) can help save you money on insurance rates while protecting the small business you’ve worked hard to build.
  1. General Liability – helps protect home and commercial interior design professionals from certain lawsuits alleging injuries or property damage that occurred as the result of their business operations – like if a customer is injured at your studio or office, or an employee causes damage to a client’s property while working on their house or commercial building. It even helps cover certain claims of slander and libel. Business Liability insurance coverage does not cover liabilities directly arising out of the professional interior design services you may provide.
  2. Commercial Property – helps protect a home and commercial interior designer’s place of business and the things they use to conduct business, like office furnishings, drafting tables, and office equipment – whether owned or leased.
  3. Business Income – helps cover the loss of income when you can’t run your home or commercial interior business due to covered property damage.
Learn more about our Business Owner’s Policy for your small home or commercial design company.
Easily Add Optional Insurance Coverages to a Business Owner’s Policy
If you’re an interior decorator, you can be sued for damages and expenses resulting from errors and omissions in the professional services you provide or the failure of your professional services to perform as intended, even if you’ve done nothing wrong. If that should happen to you, Professional Liability insurance provides financial protection that can help safeguard the assets of your interior design business and help cover the cost of your defense in the event of a lawsuit.
Home and commercial design businesses often store sensitive information about their employees and clients, including social security and bank account routing numbers, and other financial and personal information. And if that information is lost or stolen, it could leave your interior design business vulnerable to lawsuits and reputation damage. Data Breach Coverage helps pay the costs of notifying impacted individuals, managing public relations, good faith advertising, and more if personally identifiable information is lost or stolen from your commercial or residential interior design business.
Learn More About Data Breach Insurance
It’s possible for a home or commercial design business to be sued by a current or former employee claiming she was wrongfully terminated, discriminated against or harassed. EPL helps cover the cost of legal expenses that arise from such claims. For example, if a former employee claims that she was wrongfully terminated after she reported a senior manager’s misconduct, EPL may help cover the legal costs to your business of defending this claim.
Employee Benefits Liability insurance may help cover costs to your design business that arise from claims that errors or omissions were committed in the administration of your company’s employee benefits plan. For example, if your employee claims that your benefits administrator failed to enroll him in your health plan when he was eligible and he is subsequently denied enrollment due to a new health condition, Employee Benefits Liability may help cover the costs to company related to that claim.
Limited Care, Custody or Control Property coverage may help cover the costs to your design business in the event a customer’s property is damaged while in your care, custody or control while working off-site. For example, employees of your design firm may be installing an electrical fixture in a client’s property. If the fixture falls from the ceiling during installation, this coverage may help pay for the property damage that occurs while the customer’s fixture was in your possession.
Bundle Insurance Coverage for Home or Commercial Design Businesses
It’s easy to increase your interior design firm’s Business Owner’s Policy (BOP) protection at an affordable price with The Hartford’s Stretch® endorsements that bundle valuable key coverages. For home and commercial design professionals like you we offer:
  • Basic Stretch
  • Super Stretch
  • Super Stretch for Business Services
Contact an agent or a representative from The Hartford about these cost-effective solutions that help take the guesswork out of selecting the right coverage for your home or commercial interior design business.

Additional Solutions

If you have employees, use a car for work, or work from home, your home or commercial design business may also benefit from:
Other Important Insurance Options for Home or Commercial Design Businesses
Required by most states, workers’ compensation provides benefits to your home or commercial interior design business employees for work-related injuries or illnesses including medical care, wages from lost work time, and more. And if the worker’s family decides to sue you, coverage can help you with related legal fees. 
Home and commercial interior design professionals are among the many business owners who have been turning to The Hartford for workers’ comp coverage for more than a century. 
Do you ever use your own car or truck to meet with clients, pick up design samples, visit showrooms, or for other business related errands? 
A Business Auto Policy provides coverage generally not included in a personal auto policy. It can cover you or an employee when a personally owned vehicle, used for business purposes, is involved in an accident. 
If you run your home or commercial design business out of your home, you probably want a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP). A Business Owner’s Policy (BOP) provides coverage not generally available with a homeowner’s policy.
Ask yourself, “Do I have customers come to my home, receive deliveries or business mail at my house, have employees or inventory at my home?” If so, your agent or a representative from The Hartford can help you select the right coverage to protect your home or commercial interior design business.

Learn More About Home-Based Business Insurance
Certain coverages vary by state and may not be available to all businesses. All Hartford coverages and services described on this page may be offered by one or more of the property and casualty insurance company subsidiaries of The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. In TX, this insurance is written by Sentinel Insurance Company, Ltd., Hartford Casualty Insurance Company, Hartford Lloyd’s Insurance Company, Property and Casualty Insurance Company of Hartford, Hartford Underwriters Insurance Company, Twin City Fire Insurance Company, Hartford Accident and Indemnity Company and Hartford Fire Insurance Company. In CA by Sentinel Insurance Company, Ltd. (CA license # 8701) and its property and casualty insurance company affiliates, One Hartford Plaza, Hartford, CT 06155.
The Hartford® is The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. and its property and casualty subsidiaries, including issuing company, Hartford Fire Insurance Company. Its headquarters is in Hartford, CT.