Printers & Publishers Business Insurance

Looking for Business Insurance Coverage?

The Hartford makes it easy to get a business insurance quote online, including for business liability, property, and workers' compensation coverage.
Start Quote

Why Printers & Publishers Need Business Insurance

Printers and publishers use high tech equipment, caustic chemicals, and large machinery like printing presses, packaging equipment, and forklifts that can expose your business to specific and unique risks. In addition, your printing business must manage risks that are common to most every small business like property damage to your workplace or loss of important business records. Learn about the insurance coverages printing and publishing companies like yours typically need, and most often purchase, from The Hartford.

Business Owner’s Policy

Most printing and publishing companies have a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP). Why? Because it helps protect businesses like yours in much the same way a homeowner’s policy helps protect an individual’s home and personal belongings.
By combining three basic insurance coverages important to virtually every small business, including those involved in printing and publishing, a Business Owner’s Policy can help your printing or publishing company save money on insurance rates while protecting your small business.
  1. General Liability – helps protect your printing and publishing business from certain lawsuits alleging injuries or property damage that occurred as the result of your business operations, like if a customer is injured while visiting your printing facility to approve print work off the presses or an employee causes damage to a customer’s property when making a delivery. Business Liability insurance does not cover liabilities directly 
    arising out of the professional printing or publishing services you may provide.
  2.  Commercial Property– helps protect the place where you run your printing and publishing business and the things you use to conduct business, like computers, printers, and binding machinery - whether you own or lease them.
  3. Business Income – helps cover the loss of income when you can’t run your printing or publishing business because of covered property damage.
Learn more about our Business Owner’s Policy for your small printing and publishing business
Easily Add Optional Insurance Coverages to a Business Owner’s Policy
In the printing business, customers expect perfection. Nevertheless, mistakes can happen. Imagine the potential consequence if a customer sues you because you did not print material as expected and your client loses a big sale as a result. 
That's why many printers and publishers purchase Printer's Errors and Omissions Liability coverage. It can help pay for your defense and any damages awarded from a negligence claim made against your business.
Learn More About Errors and Omissions Insurance
Printing and publishing businesses depend on utilities to provide power, water, and communication services. Business Income for Off-Premises Utility Services Coverage (OPUS) covers loss of income caused by interruptions in utility services beyond your control, such as when a storm takes down power lines, cutting off electrical and telephone service to your printing or publishing business. Unlike most other insurance companies’ offerings, OPUS coverage from The Hartford starts as early as 12 hours from initial interruption of utility service. 
With OPUS, printing and publishing companies can get insurance that provides power interruption protection and safeguards their income against outages of other utilities as well.
Your printing and publishing business depends on your computers to communicate with customers, run specialized design and publishing software, store billing and account records, and more. Computers and Media Coverage helps pay to research and replace lost data and the resulting loss of business income if your computers sustain covered damage or a virus corrupts your records.
Printing and publishing businesses may store sensitive information about employees or customers, including Social Security numbers and credit and debit card numbers. Data Breach Coverage helps your printing and publishing company pay the costs of notifying impacted individuals, managing public relations, good faith advertising, and more if personally identifiable information is lost or stolen.
Learn More About Data Breach Insurance
Have you ever borrowed a vehicle for business, say to meet with a client; pick up printing supplies, or more? Unlike most personal auto insurance policies, Hired & Non-Owned Auto Coverage covers you when a borrowed, leased or rented vehicle, used for your printing or publishing business’s purposes, is involved in an accident. 
For businesses without owned or long-term leased vehicles that would need to be covered on a Business Auto policy.
Bundle Insurance Coverage for Printing and Publishing Businesses
It’s easy to increase your printing or publishing company’s Business Owner’s Policy protection at an affordable price with The Hartford’s Stretch® endorsements that bundle valuable key coverages. For printers and publishers, we offer:
  • Printers Stretch
  • Super Stretch
  • Super Stretch for Printers
  • Super Stretch for Business Services
Contact an agent or a representative from The Hartford about these cost-effective solutions that help take the guesswork out of selecting the right coverage for your printing or publishing business.

Additional Solutions

If you have employees, use a car for work, or work from home, your printing and publishing business may also benefit from:
Other Important Insurance Options for Printing and Publishing Businesses
Required by most states, workers’ compensation insurance provides benefits to employees of your printing and publishing business for work-related injuries or illnesses. Benefits include medical care, wages from lost work time, and more. And should an employee’s family decide to sue you, this coverage can help you with related legal fees. Businesses, including printers and publishers, have been turning to The Hartford for workers’ compensation insurance coverage for more than a century. 
Do you use your own vehicle to deliver print jobs, pick up supplies, meet with customers, or more? 
A Business Auto Policy provides coverage generally not included in a personal auto insurance policy. It can cover you or an employee when an owned vehicle, used for business purposes, is involved in an accident. 
If you run your printing or publishing business out of your home, you probably want a Business Owner’s Policy. A Business Owner’s Policy provides coverage not typically available with a homeowner’s insurance policy.
Ask yourself, “Do I have customers come to my home, do I have employees or inventory at my house, do I accept deliveries or mail for my business at my home?” If so, your agent or a representative from The Hartford can help you select the right coverage to safeguard your printing or publishing business.
Certain coverages vary by state and may not be available to all businesses. All Hartford coverages and services described on this page may be offered by one or more of the property and casualty insurance company subsidiaries of The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. In TX, this insurance is written by Sentinel Insurance Company, Ltd., Hartford Casualty Insurance Company, Hartford Lloyd’s Insurance Company, Property and Casualty Insurance Company of Hartford, Hartford Underwriters Insurance Company, Twin City Fire Insurance Company, Hartford Accident and Indemnity Company and Hartford Fire Insurance Company. In CA by Sentinel Insurance Company, Ltd. (CA license # 8701) and its property and casualty insurance company affiliates, One Hartford Plaza, Hartford, CT 06155.
The Hartford® is The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. and its property and casualty subsidiaries, including issuing company, Hartford Fire Insurance Company. Its headquarters is in Hartford, CT.