Securities & Investment Business Insurance

Looking for Business Insurance Coverage?

The Hartford makes it easy to get a business insurance quote online, including for business liability, property, and workers' compensation coverage.
Start Quote

Why Securities & Investment Firms Need Business Insurance

As a financial professional, broker, or advisor, you have clients, employees and representatives from asset management companies coming into and going out of your office every day, which can expose your securities and investment business to risk. In addition, you must manage and prepare for other risks common to many small businesses like property damage to your workplace or loss of important documents and records. Learn about the insurance coverages securities and investment firms like yours typically need, and most often purchase, from The Hartford.

Business Owner’s Policy

Most investment brokers and financial advisors have a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP) because it helps protect your securities and investment business in much the same way a homeowner’s insurance policy helps safeguard your home and personal possessions.

By combining three basic insurance coverages that are important to almost every small business, including brokers and financial advisors, a Business Owner’s Policy can help save you money on insurance rates while protecting the financial services business you’ve worked so hard to build.
  1. General Liability – helps protect your securities and investment business from certain lawsuits alleging injuries or property damage that occurred as the result of your business operations, for example, if a client slips on a wet floor at your office and is injured or an employee accidentally damages a client’s property while providing a consultation at their home. It even helps cover certain claims of slander and libel against your company. Business Liability does not cover liabilities directly arising out of the professional financial services you may provide.
  2. Commercial Property – helps protect the location where you do business and the tools or equipment you use to conduct your business, like computers, calculators, printers and more – whether you own or lease them.
  3. Business Income – helps your financial services business cover the loss of income when you can’t provide services to your investment clients because of covered property damage.
Learn more about our Business Owner’s Policy for your small securities and investments business.
Easily Add Optional Insurance Coverages to a Business Owner’s Policy
Investment professionals depend on working utilities in order to provide financial and investment services to clients. Business Income for Off-Premises Utility Services Coverage (OPUS) covers loss of income caused by interruptions in utility services beyond your control, such as when a severe storm takes out power lines and your financial and investment business is without power. Unlike most other insurance companies’ offerings, OPUS coverage from The Hartford starts as early as 12 hours from initial interruption of utility service.

With OPUS, brokers and financial services businesses can get insurance that provides power interruption protection and safeguards their income against outages of other utilities as well.
You depend on your computers to communicate with clients, store financial information, track financial data, and so much more. Computers and Media Coverage helps pay to research and replace lost data and the resulting loss of business income, if your business’s computers sustain covered damage or a virus corrupts your data files or software.
Investment and securities advisors and brokers often store sensitive information about their employees and clients, including Social Security and bank account numbers. If that information is lost or stolen, it could leave your securities and investment business vulnerable to lawsuits and a damaged reputation.

Data Breach Coverage helps pay the costs of notifying impacted individuals, managing public relations, good faith advertising, and more if personally identifiable information is lost or stolen from your financial services firm.
Imagine the impact to your securities and investment business if important paperwork such as portfolios, securities transactions receipts, and client files were damaged by water, fire or other unexpected event. Valuable Papers and Records Coverage can help brokers and financial advisors cover the costs to reproduce damaged documents, provide temporary storage, and move records to avoid a loss.
Bundle Insurance Coverage for Securities and Investments Businesses
It’s easy to increase your brokerage or financial services firm’s Business Owner’s Policy protection at affordable rates with The Hartford’s Stretch® endorsements that bundle key insurance coverages. For investments and securities businesses like yours we offer:
  • Basic Stretch
  • Financial Services Stretch
  • School Stretch
  • Super Stretch for Business Services
Contact an agent or a representative from The Hartford about these cost-effective solutions that help take the guesswork out of selecting the right coverage for your accounting or financial services firm.

Additional Solutions

If you have employees, use a car for work, or work from home, your securities and investments firm may also benefit from:
Other Important Insurance Options for Securities and Investment Companies
Workers’ Compensation Insurance is required by most states and provides benefits to your employees for work-related injuries or illnesses. Benefits include medical care, paid wages from lost work time, and more. And if the employee’s family should decide to sue you, this coverage can help you with related legal fees.

Small businesses, including brokers and financial advisors, have been turning to The Hartford for workers’ compensation insurance coverage for more than a century.
Do you use your car to meet with clients, attend industry conferences, run work-related errands, or more? A Business Auto Policy provides insurance coverage not generally included in a personal auto insurance policy. It can cover you or an employee of your investment advisor business when a personally owned vehicle used for business purposes, is involved in an accident.
If you run your securities and investments business out of your home, you probably want a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP). A Business Owner’s Policy provides coverage not typically available with a homeowner’s insurance policy. 

Ask yourself, “Do I have clients come to my home, provide services away from my home, get business mail or packages at my house, or have employees working at my home”? If so, your agent or a representative from The Hartford can help you select the right coverage to protect your financial services business.
Certain coverages vary by state and may not be available to all businesses. All Hartford coverages and services described on this page may be offered by one or more of the property and casualty insurance company subsidiaries of The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. In TX, this insurance is written by Sentinel Insurance Company, Ltd., Hartford Casualty Insurance Company, Hartford Lloyd’s Insurance Company, Property and Casualty Insurance Company of Hartford, Hartford Underwriters Insurance Company, Twin City Fire Insurance Company, Hartford Accident and Indemnity Company and Hartford Fire Insurance Company. In CA by Sentinel Insurance Company, Ltd. (CA license # 8701) and its property and casualty insurance company affiliates, One Hartford Plaza, Hartford, CT 06155.
The Hartford® is The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. and its property and casualty subsidiaries, including issuing company, Hartford Fire Insurance Company. Its headquarters is in Hartford, CT.