What Does Commercial Flood Insurance Cover?
Commercial flood insurance coverage is a type of business insurance. It’s not usually covered by commercial property insurance. It requires its own policy if you want to protect your business from flood damage.
Commercial flood insurance coverage helps protect your business from the damage costs that come from floodwater. A commercial flood insurance policy can help protect the location of your business. It can also help protect the physical contents and assets. Commercial flood insurance protection can help protect your business’s:
- Equipment and fixtures
Call today or find a flood agent to get a quote. Find out how easy and affordable it is to buy flood insurance coverage for your portfolio of business coverages.
Do I Need Commercial Flood Insurance?
If your business’s commercial property insurance doesn’t cover flood damage – and most don’t – consider adding a commercial flood insurance policy. Start with a commercial flood insurance coverage quote. Even if your business is in an area that doesn’t flood, you’ll need a flood insurance policy if:
- You run your business in an area that has cold, snowy winters and warm springs. Fast melting snow is one of the top causes for commercial flooding.
- You experience moderate rainfall during the year. Even with moderate rainfall, a drain could become clogged. Water could eventually overflow into your place of business and cause flood damage.
Additional Reasons to Consider Flood Insurance
- Floods are one of the most common and expensive natural disasters and can affect every region and state.
- Floods can happen anywhere. Over 20 percent of flood claims come from properties outside high-risk flood zones.1
- Flood insurance may benefit your business regardless of whether there is a declaration of disaster.
- Wildfires can change landscape and ground conditions and subsequent rainfall can lead to a risk of flash flooding.
- Storms are not the sole cause of flooding. Floods can be triggered by a broken dam or levee, a new building development that changes the flow of water in your area, and more.
Flooding can happen at any time and anywhere. Commercial flood insurance coverage can help protect your business and mitigate financial loss in the event of a flood.
How Does The Hartford’s Flood Insurance Policy Work?
The Hartford’s flood insurance is provided through the federal government’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP is managed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
The NFIP was established by Congress in 1968 to help protect property owners from financial losses caused by floods. The NFIP provides commercial flood insurance to business owners in communities across the U.S. that participate in the program through flood plain management, which reduces potential flood risks.
The government’s waiting period on new commercial flood insurance policies is 30 days. So it’s important to buy commercial flood insurance coverage well before a potential flood event is headed your way.
It’s easy to get a quote. You can contact your local insurance agent or call 1-800-296-7542 to purchase flood insurance or speak with one of our specialists. We’re eager to answer your questions and quickly assist you in getting the right flood insurance coverage at the right cost for your business.
1 Federal Emergency Management Agency, Flood Insurance – Frequently Asked Questions, https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/20130726-1803-25045-8083/st_broomein.pdf