Get the Coverage You Need to Protect Your Home-based Business
If you run a business out of your home, you need to ask yourself a few very important questions:
- Do customers or clients come to my home?
- Do I keep inventory or supplies in my home or at off-site job locations?
- Would I lose income if I had to close my business because of damage to my home?
- Do I have employees working in or outside of my home?
- Do I maintain client or employee records on my computer?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, a homeowner’s policy may not provide enough protection for your home-based business. Without the right coverage, your business could be financially responsible for property damage, lawsuits, employee injuries, or issues related to data loss.
Flexible Coverage for Home-Based Businesses – Small and Large
Businesses run out of a home can range from small consulting practices to larger service or online retail operations. That’s why The Hartford offers a complete range of coverage options that can serve the needs of virtually any home-based business in a cost-effective way.
Solutions from The Hartford include:
- General Liability Policy – If you don't have inventory or equipment in your home or at offsite locations, you might want basic coverage with a general liability only policy. This will protect you if you’re sued for negligence, personal injury or a faulty product.
- Business Owner’s Policy – Helps cover structures on your property - where your home-based business operates. Can also cover damage to inventory or loss of business income if your home is damaged by fire or high winds. A standard business owner’s policy combines property and liability coverage.
- Business Owner’s Policy with Endorsements – You can tailor your business owner’s policy with added endorsements like Data Breach for example, if your business stores personal information about customers or employees. Add Optional Business Income for Off Premises Utility Services (OPUS) coverage to help cover a loss of business income resulting from an interruption in utility services.
More Reasons to Choose The Hartford
- If a client requires that you cover additional people on your liability policy, The Hartford can help you add them quickly and easily.
- If you have employees, your coverage could include up to $10,000 worth of employment practices liability insurance. This could help protect your livelihood if you’re ever sued by a worker for employment-related claims like discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination and more, whether the employee works in your home or elsewhere.
- Your business could lose income if operations had to be suspended due to a covered property loss. The Hartford’s Business Owner’s Policy includes Business Income Coverage. It can help replace that lost income so you can continue to meet ongoing expenses like rent, mortgage or payroll.