Choose The Hartford for All Your California Business Insurance Needs
Businesses need business insurance for many reasons, including that in the U.S., most states require certain coverages in order for a business to operate. Small businesses in California make up 97.5% of all firms in the state among private sector employees. In 2012, 79% of businesses in California were comprised of nine or fewer employees.1 The Hartford has been protecting customers for more than 200 years. It’s no wonder that more than 1 million small business owners trust The Hartford for their insurance needs. Here’s how The Hartford can help you with California business insurance requirements:
Types of California Business Insurance Coverages Offered
California Business Owner’s Policy
A Business Owner’s Policy (BOP) combines business property insurance and business liability insurance, into one policy. A BOP is often used to provide coverage for small businesses that want to also protect business equipment that can be damaged in a fire, theft or another disaster. You should consider a BOP if:
- Your business has assets that can be stolen or broken – this includes customer data, company equipment, digital assets and inventory.
- Your business could potentially be sued, including for a workplace injury to a customer.
- Your business has a physical location, either rented or owned.
California Business Income Insurance
California business income insurance helps your business replace income when you cannot operate due to a covered property loss such as damage from wind, theft or fire. Business income insurance is included in a BOP from The Hartford. Your business may benefit from business income coverage if your company:
- Is a retail store that requires online/brick-and-mortar storefronts to display products.
- Is a service business (spa, massage, etc.) that depends on a physical location and tools to service your customers.
- Is a software company that requires physical property and digital property, including cloud storage.
California General Liability Insurance
General liability insurance for the state of California helps protect your company from property damage claims, bodily injury claims and/or personal and advertising injury claims. General liability insurance from The Hartford helps protect you and your business in the event:
- You accidentally damage a customer’s property while on the job.
- A customer slips and falls and injuries herself at your business. The injuries may result in costly medical bills or a lawsuit that general liability insurance can help cover.
California Minimum Business Insurance Requirements
Commercial Liability Insurance is not mandatory for businesses operating in the state of California; however, the state does not put a cap on liability lawsuit rewards. So it makes sense to protect your business from the potentially devastating costs of a large liability claim. A good rule of thumb for most small businesses is to be covered for an amount between $500,000 and $1 million, or an amount equal to the total value of your assets. Coverage in California is underwritten by Sentinel Insurance Company, LTD and its property and casualty insurance affiliates.
California Workers’ Compensation Insurance
The Hartford offers state-mandated workers compensation insurance (workers’ comp) to make sure that injured workers always receive fast and fair compensation for illnesses and injuries received on the job. Workers’ comp insurance includes coverage for medical care, lost wages due to time missed at work and more. California workers’ compensation can help protect your business in many situations including:
- An employee falls on the ice during a winter storm while walking up to the office and must spend time away from work recovering after an emergency room visit.
- An employee injures his back lifting a box in the workplace and requires a physician’s attention, medication and physical therapy.
- An employee is driving back to the office from a client meeting and gets in a car accident, requiring hospitalization.
California Commercial Auto Insurance
California commercial auto insurance helps your business cover the financial costs resulting from an auto accident. Commercial auto insurance is important for your business if:
- Your business owns, rents, or leases cars or trucks.
- Your business has employees driving their own vehicles to business-related activities (client meetings, jobsites, etc.)
- Your business has employees operating company-owned, rented or leased vehicles.
Get a quote on Small Business Insurance for your business today.