Education & School Business Insurance

Looking for Business Insurance Coverage?

The Hartford makes it easy to get a business insurance quote online, including for business liability, property, and workers' compensation coverage.
Start Quote

Why Education and Schools Need Business Insurance

Schools and educational institutions face a variety of unique risks that require specialized insurance protection. From students participating in sports to the inherent dangers of running chemistry classes and taking students on field trips, there’s a lot that educational institutions, including private and charter schools, need to manage and protect. And that’s in addition to the typical issues most businesses prepare for like property damage or loss of critical files and records. Learn about the insurance coverages smaller schools and educational institutions typically need, and most often purchase, from The Hartford.

Business Owner’s Policy

Most smaller educational institutions, including private and charter schools, will need a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP). Why? Because it protects your school and the business of running it, in much the same way a homeowner’s insurance policy protects your home and personal possessions.
By combining three basic insurance coverages that are important to most small businesses, including those in the education industry, a Business Owner’s Policy can save you money while providing your educational institution with superior protection.
  1. General Liability – helps protect your school from certain lawsuits alleging injuries or property damage that occurred as the result of your business operations, like if a student is injured at your institution or a teacher or other employee causes damage to a student’s property. It even helps cover certain claims of slander and libel. Business Liability does not cover liabilities directly arising out of the professional educational services you may provide.
  2. Commercial Property – helps protect your school facility and the things you use to operate your school, like books, furniture and educational equipment - whether you own or lease them.
  3. Business Income – helps cover the loss of income when you can’t run your school because of covered property damage.
Learn more about our Business Owner’s Policy for your small school or educational institution.
Easily Add Optional Insurance Coverages to a Business Owner’s Policy
Professional Liability insurance helps cover the costs and legal fees your educational business may incur if it is found negligent in the professional services it provides. For example, if a teacher at your educational institution claims that he has been wrongfully denied tenure, Professional Liability insurance may help cover the costs and legal fees your business incurs in resolving the claim.
The success of your school depends on the efforts of your teachers and staff. The employee benefits you provide help to keep them motivated to do great work. However, errors in administering your employee benefits program could be costly. Employee Benefits Liability Coverage helps protect your school if you are sued for an error or omission in the administration of your employee benefits program, including your group health insurance.
Imagine what may happen if there was damage to an exterior sewer line causing water to enter your education institution building through sewer drains. This causes water to enter your building even though there is no exterior flooding. Backup of Sewers and Drains Coverage may help cover the clean-up costs.
Tenant Legal Liability coverage helps protect you if your landlord sues you claiming you caused damage to property you are renting, or you caused damage to the property of another tenant in the same building or complex. For example, if you are renting space for your educational institution and accidentally leave the faucet running over the weekend, Tenant Legal Liability insurance may help cover the costs related to the damage you caused to the property you’re renting as well as damage to the property of other renters.
Have you ever rented a vehicle for school purposes, like to transport students to a track meet, take faculty to a professional development event, run errands for your school, or more? Unlike most personal auto insurance policies, Hired & Non-Owned Auto Coverage covers you when a borrowed, leased or rented vehicle, used for business purposes, is involved in an accident. 
For businesses without owned or long-term leased vehicles that would need to be covered on a Business Auto policy.
Bundle Insurance Coverage for Schools and Educational Institutions
It’s easy to increase your school’s Business Owner’s Policy protection at an affordable price with The Hartford’s Stretch® endorsements that bundle valuable key insurance coverages. For schools like yours we offer:
  • Basic Stretch
  • School Stretch
  • Super Stretch for Business Services
Contact an agent or a representative from The Hartford about these cost-effective solutions that help take the guesswork out of selecting the right coverage for your school.

Additional Solutions

If you have employees, use a car for work, or work from home, your school or educational facility may also benefit from:
Other Important Insurance Options for Schools and Educational Institutions
Required by most states, workers’ compensation insurance provides benefits to employees at your school for work-related injuries or illnesses including medical care, wages from lost work time, and more. And if an employee’s family decides to sue you, this coverage can help you with related legal fees. Businesses, including educational institutions, have been turning to The Hartford for workers’ comp coverage for more than a century. 
Do you ever use your car to go to off-campus meetings, pick up supplies for your school or more? A Business Auto Policy provides coverage generally not included in a personal auto insurance policy. It can cover you or an employee when a personally owned vehicle, used for business purposes, is involved in an accident. 
If you run a pre-school or other school out your home, you probably want a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP). A Business Owner’s Policy provides coverage not typically available with a homeowner’s insurance policy.
Ask yourself, “Do I have students come to my home, do I receive mail for my school at my house, or do I have teachers or other employees at my home?” If so, your agent or a representative from The Hartford can help you select the right insurance coverage to protect your school.
Certain coverages vary by state and may not be available to all businesses. All Hartford coverages and services described on this page may be offered by one or more of the property and casualty insurance company subsidiaries of The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. In TX, this insurance is written by Sentinel Insurance Company, Ltd., Hartford Casualty Insurance Company, Hartford Lloyd’s Insurance Company, Property and Casualty Insurance Company of Hartford, Hartford Underwriters Insurance Company, Twin City Fire Insurance Company, Hartford Accident and Indemnity Company and Hartford Fire Insurance Company. In CA by Sentinel Insurance Company, Ltd. (CA license # 8701) and its property and casualty insurance company affiliates, One Hartford Plaza, Hartford, CT 06155.
The Hartford® is The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. and its property and casualty subsidiaries, including issuing company, Hartford Fire Insurance Company. Its headquarters is in Hartford, CT.