What Is a Commercial General Liability Insurance Policy?
Whether you’re the owner of a large or small business, commercial general liability insurance is an essential component to your company. Commercial general liability insurance can help cover the costs if someone files a claim of bodily injury or property and advertising damage against your company. If you didn’t have this protection, you could be financially responsible for the claims.
Commercial general liability insurance helps protect you and your company if you’re found negligent in non-professional acts. If your business provides professional services to customers, professional liability insurance helps protect your company if you’re found negligent in the services that were provided.
What Does Commercial General Liability Insurance Cover?
A commercial general liability insurance policy helps cover the cost of various claims, including:
- Property damage: If you or an employee damages a piece of property, commercial general liability insurance can help cover the costs of property damage claims.
- Physical injury: If a person is injured while on the property of your business, they may file a bodily injury claim.
- Defense costs: If a person files a lawsuit against your business, commercial general liability insurance can help cover the costs to defend your business in court.
- Personal and advertising injury: Advertising is an important piece to running a business. A person or business can file a claim about your ads if they believe it caused damages.
- Reputational harm: Commercial general liability insurance can help cover the costs to resolve libel and slander claims made against your business.
In addition, a commercial general liability insurance policy can help cover different legal costs, including teams to represent your business, witness fees, evidence costs, judgments, or settlements.
Commercial General Liability Cost
When it comes to the cost of your commercial general liability insurance policy, different factors can impact your rate. From the level of risk your company is exposed to and the size of your business, below are a couple different factors that can have an impact on your insurance cost.
- Your exposure: If your business operates in an industry that is risky, it could impact the overall rate of your commercial general liability insurance cost.
- Your location: The geographical location of your business can impact your insurance premium. In addition, the specific area of where your business is located can impact your insurance rate. For example, if there is a high population where your business is located, it could increase the likelihood of a bodily injury claim.
- Number of employees: The larger the number of employees you have, the more it increases the liabilities your business is vulnerable to.
- Your revenue: More revenue means more business is coming in and your business is growing. This can have an impact on your insurance premium.
Businesses That Typically Need Extra Coverage
All businesses can benefit from having general liability insurance coverage, including:
- General contractors
- Landscaping companies
- IT contractors
- Real estate agents
If your business provides professional services; owns or rents a storefront; or uses vehicles to transport goods, people, or employees, you may need additional coverage. For example, if one of your employees is found to be at fault of a car accident that causes injuries to the other driver, commercial general liability insurance won’t help pay for the damaged property or any medical expenses.
Does Your Company Need More Coverage?
The Hartford has been helping businesses prepare for the unexpected for more than 200 years. You’ll have peace of mind knowing your business is our main priority. Depending on the size of your business, your coverage needs are unique and differ from other businesses.
Get a quote today for commercial general liability insurance – it’s fast and easy. If you want to speak to one of our insurance specialists to figure out the best coverages for your business, please call 1-855-829-1683.